Thursday, February 19, 2009

I love....

18) Talking to my friend Tracy about our garden-to-be. This summer we are not getting a CSA box. Our family loved it last summer but I am determined to learn more about gardening and to be able to do better myself! Ok, well I doubt I can do better than a farmer but I think I can do well enough for our purposes. Anyway! I've been learning about cold-frame gardening and cold-weather varieties of our favorite veggies, as well as reading the square foot gardening book. Have any of you tried this?? Why am I just hearing about this now? Don't answer that, I already know it's because I spend too much time in the kids' section of the library! (See - one of my monthly resolutions was to read educational books...I'm learning soooo much!) Anyway - the garden-t0-be should include things we are actually going to eat. For instance...
Spinach, carrots, squash, eggplant, peppers, mint, spinach, basil, gr. onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, a few tomatoes, spinach, cilantro, pumpkins, cukes, peas, zukes, spinach, corn?, brussel sprouts, broccoli and spinach. Are you sensing a theme here?! That's a lot of stuff...I wish I knew more about growing black beans and chickpeas too! I'm not really finding much info on it. My guess is that is something that really doesn't pay off unless you're doing a large amount. Either that or we are just in the wrong climate! Either way I am getting excited about the garden. Tracy has graciously offered to host most of it in her backyard, which sounds like fun b/c then we can visit the garden as well as Tracy and her family! Tracy's got a post up on her blog about her garden dreams, too...check it out if you have time!

1 comment:

Amish/English said...

Black beans? They need to dry on the vine, right? I don't know much about gardening but I think that's how to grow them. In the big box stores they cost 99 cents a bag and last a long time . . . just my opinion. (Easier not to grow . . .)