Saturday, November 5, 2011

Lucky guy

November 5
So many things to be thankful for today!  Thankful for extended family, for services to help and protect children and families, for friends in our community, but also for the community of friends we have built in the foster/adoptive world.  Today I am thinking about my maternal Grandpa.  He has passed away, but is still on my mind a lot.  When I read in the newspaper about Andy Rooney passing away (he was one of my Grandpa's favorite reporters!), all I could think of was how my Grandpa would be so delighted to meet him in heaven!  But I hope he doesn't ask him for an autograph!  Those 2 old guys would have a lot of fun together.  Anyway - I remember how my Grandpa would always love Rooney's commentaries.  Sometimes when we'd visit, the TV would be on the news in the background, volume low.  We'd be talking, but if Andy Rooney came on - the volume immediately went up and the conversation was suspended.  We'd laugh or nod soberly at whatever the topic was...I found myself tuning in to Rooney's last broadcast.  Pretty sure my love for my Grandpa brought me to make sure I didn't miss it.  Just like I can't watch Wheel of Fortune w/o thinking of Grandma whispering the answer as the rest of us fumbled around to spit it out.  =)  Well, this thankful post has gotten a little of track.  I am thankful for a lot of things today but I guess I am thankful for special memories!

No comments: