Friday, March 6, 2020

2020 - month 2



Lightning has struck twice!!  I'm actually taking a few minutes to blog about February...

Do - February has not been very exciting...I’ve been playing in the snow, re-arranging furniture and trying to keep up with the chores! Dave has parent teacher conferences tonight and ACT testing soon. We wrapped up the basketball season with Moses and all 3 boys started the wrestling season. Destination Imagination practices are in full swing! Colleen is a magician in their skit and they have a machine that will shuffle cards. She really can't shuffle cards! It sounds like a joke in the skit, that a successful magician can't shuffle, but their idea was born out of something real. Franklin's team chose an improvisational challenge and we are all looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Ezra will be playing a principal in his skit! He was very proud to tell his principal that he is dressing like him for the part.


Read - this month I read Come Rain or Come Shine: a White Parent’s Guide to Adopting and Parenting Black Children. Truth is, I skimmed some of it. A few of the beginning parts were about adopting an infant, meeting with birth mothers and things like that. I think the book focuses more on private adoptions, so the premise was a little ‘off’ for what I was looking for. That being said, each chapter has an amazing list of resources, not just for adopting black children but anyone of a different race, a lot of which I found useful! I am thinking of compiling those into one big list and working my way through. Transracial adoption has been on my mind for a long time. Over the years we have had kids of various races in our family through foster care but in adopting, these are not just passing issues or thoughts. I have an amazon list of books similar to this...I'm happy to share this book w/anyone who is interested!
Image result for proverbs 25:28
Learn - I learned Proverbs 25:28 this month! It was pretty easy, mostly b/c I had already attempted to learn this one in the past. I also learned many things about owls from Colleen. That girl soaks up all new learning and loves to share it!! Moses initiated a discussion about what would happen if the president died while in office. We looked up the succession process and discussed how usually the Prez and VP are not in the same place together. All that led us to look up things about what happened when Reagan was shot. Did you know that there were some VPs who were acting presidents for a few hours at a time, like when the presidents were in surgery? I never thought about it and although it seems like random Jeopardy trivia, it was an interesting discussion about stuff I never knew. Another thing I have been trying is stitching elastic into waistbands. So does that mean I'm learning to hand sew? Not really!!! I literally am taking a stab at trying to make clothes work for us instead of buying new or paying a tailor. It's hard to find stuff for people w/little waists!! I have a machine and have watched videos, but...so far the 3 I have tried are working.

Be - this month I focused on staying involved. Spring seems to be a time when the kids are busy but I don't do much for myself. So I signed up to do nursery at church - my favorite! The kids' behavior is sketchy during worship so I never felt comfortable leaving them w/o an adult in the row. We're at the point where I think they are getting better - I took one of them w/me to statistically cut down on the incidents. I also attended women's game night. I usually talk myself out of those - for being and ESFP, I get anxious a lot and second guess myself...it's a bad habit! Those ladies are my friends and they don't care if I dress fancy or whatever! It was fun and I need to remember to stay involved in things for myself.

And now....
Image result for we're on to cincinnati
***that's just what we say when we are ready to move on w/o much comment.  I'm equal parts proud of myself that I have completed 2 months of this, and still wary that I will stick with it the whole year.  Moses is a big Patriots fan and that's Coach Bill Belichek.  For you non-sports fans, you should know that he's not a very good interview, he always seems uncomfortable talking to the press and he generally does not smile.  He comes off as a grumpy troll who wants to tell everyone to get off his lawn!  This comment was in response to the media pestering him after a tough loss.  He repeated the phrase a few times...it has become our family's go to line when we are trying to move on!  We have a couple of them we love - "We talkin' bout practice", "Playoffs?", "I'm just here so I won't get fined", and "Don't you EVER talk about me!"  I love that we share these jokes between us!  And I miss football.  It's almost time for March Madness which holds me over for a while.  GO DUKE!!!

No comments: