Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DAY THREE - Astounding me!

And you thought yesterday was a good day....

A quick summary of the day from my face.book status...

HIT LIKE AND JOIN ME IN A SHOUT OF PRAISE: My sweet girl not only completed all that was asked of her food-wise today, but she also met her fluid goal for the day!!!! NO TUBE FEEDING OF ANY KIND TODAY!!!! There is no line in the baby book for this, but you better believe I'm making a whole page for it!!! Not only that, but we were able to receive a 'pass' to go out of the hospital with Dave and Mo for 2+ hours (we went to the WI State Fair - it was UW Madison day - we got to hear the band!), but we also were able to see cousins who are in the hospital overnight. GOD IS GOOD!!! Prayers are being answered and we are blessed!!! =D There aren't enough exclamation marks to relay how great this day was!!! =D

Yes, there were still tears and struggles, but it was awesome!  Colleen has really shown us that she is capable of many things.  The speech therapist came up to check on some mechanical things (Colleen is still not clearing very well) and she felt we should wait on a swallow study.  So...it's only Weds and we're making good progress!  The other best part was that Dave was able to meet some doctors, watch Colleen eat lunch and go through a bit of what I have been doing so far.  Well, not the sleeping in the hospital part, but...

Some things I have learned so far - count while Colleen drinks.  She tries to beat the count.  It's so silly and I'm sure I've done it a few times before but I just don't do it consistently.  Also, the sticker chart is awesome!  Yes, I could have guessed that before, but seeing how they set up the specific goals is helpful.  One thing I have not been doing is making Colleen try the harder to chew/swallow foods.  I basically have given up on them and just been satisfied w/whatever she was willing to do.  Here, we start w/a difficult food and move our way down to the smoothest foods.  Again, I could have thought of that but this 'training'/therapy is for me too!  I need the suggestions and encouragement and reminders and the strategies to keep going!  

So on that note...I will say that this little girl has astounded me in new ways this week.  I've seen her do some hard stuff, all while physically exhibiting her anxiety.  I couldn't jump in there and help and she knew it.  She has been though so much but she keeps going.  I shared an inspirational poster thing from a f.b. friend's wall - it said, "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than yesterday!"  That, my friends, is a perfect summary for the day!


No comments: