Thursday, March 3, 2011

The irony of it is...

There have been many times in my life where I felt like God has acted in a manner that people call ironic.  This week has been an example of irony.  My grandfather passed away at the beginning of the week.  I am sure I don't need to tell you how difficult it has been for my family...after being in on the funeral planning, Dave and I got a call about possibly bringing a preemie baby home from the hospital for a week (Moses was a preemie).  Maybe irony is the wrong word, but I feel God's hand in this.  To cradle a new life in your hand while mourning the loss of another is truly bittersweet.  I was instantly reminded of the passage in Ecclesiastes, about a season for every activity.  The irony of that lies in the fact that it also happens to be the passage I found out I am going to be reading at the funeral.  Again, maybe ironic is a stretch.  Either way...I know this is a busy season for us, even if it is only for a week.  We mourn and celebrate at the same time.  I know Moses is really looking forward to hanging out w/baby AJ - he even asked me if he could get up in the middle of the night to help me feed him!  Um, no.  So after having teenagers, we are now back to newborns...almost like a full circle!  I'm excited and nervous for this week.  I know it will pass quickly =)  

Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything
 1 There is a time for everything, 
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:
 2 a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
   a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
   a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up,
   a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate,
   a time for war and a time for peace.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

We'll have to catch up and talk at some point because I just feel like there's so much to talk about - about Grandpa and now about AJ, etc., too!

I've been a bundle of emotions and confusion the past few days, but I hope you guys are doing well - or at least as well as can be expected.

And I really like your message in this post - everything happens for a reason, even if we don't always understand how or why God is working as he does.