Sunday, October 30, 2011

Before winter, there's fowl...


PIPPA        LOIS
DEEDEE
I thought it might be time for a chicken update!  They are getting so big and we are learning a lot.  We are getting 2 eggs a day now.  The dark brown one is from Lois, the black hen (an Australorp?), while the lighter one is from Pippa (????).  I don't know why I am so surprised that they regularly lay an egg a day each, but it is pretty amazing!  
The chickens love the treats I bring them, even the half rotten pumpkin from the garden!  I have brought them warm oats, kitchen scraps, kale, dried smashed eggshells, plain popcorn, etc...When the girls are out in the yard and I come out the back door, they come running to see what I brought them =)
Here's a pretty good picture of all 3 of them.  DeeDee is the stereotypical teen male, giving orders and keeping the girls in line.  He hops on the wood pile and tells the whole neighborhood who is boss.  
This is a weird one...so they have apparently been digging a hole.  Not like a hole to escape or anything, just a hole to sit in, I guess.  From what I have been reading, chickens like to take dust baths to combat the bugs they get or something (if you are a chicken owner, correct me if I am wrong!).  Anyway, I knew the hole was getting big but so far I have only seen DeeDee sitting in it.  Well, on this day I couldn't find Lois in the pen!  I looked in the coop...in the pen...did she get out????  Then I saw her red comb!  She almost blended in!!  Her whole body was in the hole and her black feathers seemed to match the ground.  You can't really see it well in the picture but trust me.  It looked so weird that she was eye level w/the other chickens' toes!!  So it doesn't seem to be anything to be worried about, but it's still weird nonetheless.


No comments: