Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Two things that bug me - you can change though!

When I took Dave to work yesterday, it really bothered me to see everyone's trash. So many people had paper bags in their trash, or plastic bottles...does no one recycle?? Also, I try to tell Dave and others all the time that our city only takes numbers 1 and 2! If you put in a 5 or something they will just throw the WHOLE bag away. This morning I was reading another blog and the woman talked about what types of things recycled materials turn into. It was pretty interesting, but there were a few things in there that bolstered what I've been saying...only 1% of all plastic bottles are recycled!! Anyway - please please recycle! I'm not this big save the Earth girl or anything, but honestly, I don't think it's that hard. I would also encourage you to find out what #s your community accepts so that you are not tossing random things in your bin. Thank you! Sorry for the soap box, I just felt that was something I needed to say. Most people I know recycle, but like I said, if you don't, you should =)!

1 comment:

D(ea)r Abby said...

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but are you sure that's what they do if there are non-recyclables in with the plastics? I really don't know, but isn't one of the things they do when the pick up recycling in those fancy trucks sort it by type? Like, milk cartons in one part, aluminum cans somewhere else? I really don't know, but it just seems like a silly policy (not to say it isn't possible, of course).

Also, did you know that Whole Foods collects the upper number plastics for recycling, even if the city doesn't? I suppose that doesn't help you much if you aren't near a Whole Foods, but I think it's neat.