Monday, November 29, 2010

Tossed salad

(I wrote this 10 days ago...I'm still posting it, but fyi that the timeline is off since it's an old post..I plan to write a new one/continuation of this one today...)
This week has been like a tossed salad.  Probably one that is getting a little old and limp.  I made a reference on FB to doing a brain dump here - lucky you! - and now you can read it.

Last week Thurs - the Termination of Parental Rights was completed, making Fabi legally available for adoption.  This week - Fabi and I went to Feeding Therapy at the nearby Children's Hospital.  We slept at my parents' house but were at the hospital for every meal.  Which means we had a lot of free time in between too.  We went to the zoo and the mall, basically...

That's the week in a nutshell.  But nutshells are small.  My brain is not.  (At least, I don't believe it is!)

There are so many things I want to write about...the week started w/the doctors feeding Fabi and I was behind the 2 way mirror in the next room watching.  Don't kid yourself - she may be 3, but she's smart enough to know I was there!  I learned that all the fidgeting, twitching and such that she does is not some ADD thing, but really her way to distract us from the fact that she's not eating.  You may think, um, DUH, but honestly, this kid has so many things going on that it's hard for us to understand or sort out the what/whys of her condition.  We mostly all agreed that her feeding problems are not really physical, although she tires easily, but rather psychological.  Again, we thought we knew that, but it helps to go through all this w/lots of doctors to confirm it.  Most of the strategies they taught me I felt like I could have come up w/on my own, but honestly, I never would have taken the time to do them in our house full of activity.  It was so nice to have it just be me and her the whole week (even though I deeply missed the boys - more on that later!) and I think some elements of attachment were addressed this week too.  Mid-week I sat in the room while the doctors fed her and by the end of the week, I was going solo w/the doctor talking to me in an ear piece while in the next room.
(more soon!)

No comments: