Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cookie recipe and other food talk

A fellow blogging mom suggested I post the cookie recipe I mentioned. First of all, I will say that I based the recipe I used loosely on one I found in the Sneaky Chef cookbook by Missy Chase Lapine. And I know that there are some people out there who don't agree w/sneaking vegetables in your kids' food when you really should just get them used to eating them from the start and you won't have to sneak them in! But Mo eats a fair amount of veggies on his own, like this pile of red and yellow peppers we were supposed to share at lunch today! I checked the cookbook out from the library more for me and Dave! We are trying to eat healthier. The way I see it, why not have a veggie on your plate as well as something like cauliflower snuck into your mac and cheese? Which by the way, I have decided must have been my high school cafeteria's secret ingredient too. I remember the mac and cheese being really stiff and glue-ey, not that I'm complaining - I ate double portions most times they served it, but that's what this turned out like. Mo really gobbled it up and Dave was hesitant, but he couldn't turn down hot mac and cheese. Anyway, back to the cookies!
1/3 C whole wheat flour, 1/3 C white flour, 1/3 C wheat germ
1/2 tsp baking SODA (sorry, I always get them confused!)
1/4 C rolled oats, finely ground in a food processor
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 C sugar, 1/4 C brown sugar
1 lg egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C white bean puree
1/2 C mint choco chips
(the book said you could also grind up 2 Tbsp blanched almonds or add chopped walnuts, berries, raisins, etc. but I didn't.)
Preheat oven to 375*. Remove butter from fridge to soften. Whisk together flours, wheat germ, baking soda, salt, oats and almonds if using. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars until creamy. Beat in egg, vanilla and white bean puree. Add dry ingredients and mix on low speed. Stir in choco chips, berries, walnuts, whatever you're using. The book suggested using a rounded half-teaspoon to make bite size cookies. I tried that for the first batch and they were so small they almost got burned. Anyway, bake for 12-14 minutes. I never really got up to the 14 minutes, but keep an eye on them. Hope you like them! I know Mo enjoyed helping me dump stuff in and pushing the buttons on the food processor. We had a serious discussion about that mixer. "That could hurt me," he kept repeating. At least he got it, right? And he never tried to touch it. We had a lot of fun and the best part was that they were getting done just as Dave was walking in. "We made cookies!" That's the best way to welcome your man home =)

No comments: