Friday, February 1, 2008

Chemical Dependence

Ok, no, I'm not going to write about drug addiction today. I am almost out of hair gel and I have been thinking a lot lately about the chemicals in that stuff. Ugh! I hate it. So I'm torn about not buying any more hair gel vs. having this big 'fro. I already have big hair...and it's really dry too. Wait, that was dumb, who has great moisturized hair in this weather?? Anyway, I have looked into homemade recipes, but they all involve gelatin. Ugh! I hate it. Are you seeing a theme here? I think my hair may soon be going after-shower-product-free. So please don't be scared if the next time you see me, you actually see my hair enter the room first! In other news...I know it wasn't Monday, but yesterday I made some homemade granola bars. I think I'm going to try one of the other recipes I've got next time. This one used a lot of oats...not that it tasted bad, just very oat-y. Know any other recipes for homemade snacks like that? I'm trying not to buy those type of things b/c I know we have the ingredients in the cupboard! (Already paid for, I might add.) The other thing is all the preservatives and hydrogenated oils and really not-good-for you stuff. So yeah, I guess after reading this post you're thinking I'm a little weird or whatever. So far, no dreadlocks or June Cleaver-esque changes. Just some little changes I have been trying to make. I believe we are to be good stewards of what God has given us (even if it's big hair, money or the Earth!). I don't think of it as 'saving the Earth for generations and generations' or 'millions of years to come'. In the Bible it says the Earth will some day be destroyed...we don't know the date! For me, I am trying to take care of what we have been given at this time. If you're interested in learning more, read 2 Peter 3:10-13, Genesis 2:15 or Romans 8:18-23. There's a lot of good stuff in the Bible and this is of course only a sample of the verses that have sparked me on this topic. Ok, now that I've taken this post all the way from chemical dependency to the Bible, I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing! Thanks for sticking w/me on this wild ride!

3 comments:

( jason ) said...

You may also want to check downtown at Olivu 426. I know she sells shampoo, but I'm not sure if she has hair gel. If so, it would be completely natural (if you choose an essential oil for the fragrance), and most likely only have 3 or 4 ingredients.

It doesn't look like Burt's Bees makes hair gel, but I wonder if your hair would be more manageable if you switched to a natural shampoo like their's or Olivu's. Talk to Holly L., she uses Burt's Bees products.

DramaMama said...

Great ideas! I went to Olivu 426, but they were closing in 10 minutes so I had to act fast. I plan to go back. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in trying to change this. I just heard on the news about the nasty chemicals in baby shampoos and lotions too. It made me think twice about giving things like that as shower gifts!

Angel321 said...

Ok, if you want to go organic and need some great recipes, there is an up and coming online show called "Healthy Meals In A Hurry". Found at Reallife360.com (You will find a lot of other family friendly shows like The Dr. Beth Show a Positive talk show that I write for!)

Anyway, I have tasted, and prepared Tracy's meals and they are simple and delicious.. and all natural/organic.

You will love her, so keep and eye out for her.