Tuesday, June 24, 2008

RAW

I was trying to think of a short post to give an update and all I could think of was the fact that I ate raw asparagus. Am I the only one who hasn't tried this? So I'm at the farmers' market and Dave lights up at the sight of asparagus. Believe me, when this guy lights up over a green vegetable, you buy some. Since we had the 'other' kids w/us, I hesitated slightly b/c I didn't think they'd eat it and all that. The farmer tells me, "He eats it raw!" and gestures to some other farmer in the truck, who then emerges and hands me a bit he snips off the end of one. I freeze, not really wanting to try it, not wanting to insult him. Really? Raw? Aren't they woody? Tough? I take it anyway and it's sooo good, like raw peas fresh from the shell. YUM. I buy a pound and immediately take out a stalk to test this. Could this one be as good as that bit? YES. The farmer told us that he has 'male' stems, which are thicker around. He says the 'female' ones are skinny and don't taste as good. Got it. I'll remember that. So if you are a farmer or asparagus patch owner and you hear me asking for raw male asparagus, don't look at me funny. I think I have already eaten almost 2/3s of the pound raw. Dave hasn't had much yet. Ok, gtg - the kids are all yelling. It makes me want some raw male asparagus....

No comments: