Monday, June 2, 2008

My favorite reusable bag

The ladies who write for one of my favorite blogs, TreeHugging Family, have started a reusable bag challenge this month. They asked to hear about our favorite bags, if we already have them or our dream bag, if we don't. Well, here's my current favorite! I found this bag at a thrift store. It was one of the first I found that I decided would be great for the grocery store. It has wood handles, it's made of burlap material and it's lined w/a waxy coating. It's probably 8 inches wide and maybe a foot and a half tall. It's very strong and sturdy. Most baggers are hesitant to put a lot in it, but I load it up! The ladies of Tree Hugging family were talking about baggers reactions when they bring their own bags and I just laughed! Around here, I rarely see other people bring their own. Most baggers at the grocery store are probably confused b/c they are taught how to pack the bags they provide. They even have contests! But when I give them my bags, I'm sure it's a little weird b/c they have never packed a bag of a different shape. I know some of you have read about my homemade reusable produce bags, and those definitely get a reaction out of people! They think it's 'neat' or 'crafty' but most of them wrinkle their nose b/c they probably don't like the thought of veggies touching stuff. You wash them before you eat them don't you?? Anyway - I just wanted to weigh in...w/o leaving a huge comment on someone else's site! What's your favorite bag? Recently I heard of someone challenging everyone to make and give away a reusable bag each time they went to the store. Most people won't buy them but *say* they would use them if they had them. Would you make a bag and give it away? Or would you give up one of yours if you knew someone would use it?

2 comments:

D(ea)r Abby said...

I'm really bad at the whole "bring your own bag" thing, mostly because I always forget to bring a bag along when I go shopping. I'd like to knit myself some kind of bag that can be balled up really small and just fit into my purse, but I have yet to work out a pattern that holds enough stuff but can be stored in a small area. Maybe I'll finally have time this summer...

DramaMama said...

I found a bunch of patterns online for crocheting/knitting those lightweight, stretchy fishnet type of bags...I'll try to find a link!